Saturday, July 7, 2012

One is the loneliest number.


Yesterday, for the first time, I felt how lonely it can be when one's children are of the opposite gender.

Not only am I the lone girl here, but no one really happens to share any of my natural interests. The boys take after their dad in that way. (Hello technology, mechanics, etc.)

I think I didn't notice until now because, without realizing it, I've been happy to enter their world and enjoy it as much as I can. Except I think I've sort of hit a wall. I'm tired of extending myself. It's a bit of a one-way street.

I'm not sure how things will play out, but shoot. I'm a little sad. Books are about the one and only passion the  boys and I share now (which is a lovely, life-long hobby), but discussion isn't high on their list...

Perhaps we'll find other things, but I can't deny that it would be nice to have someone in my immediate family to share my interests with, namely art and making things.

6 comments:

Deb said...

Oh, I'm sorry you are feeling blue! Perhaps one day a mutual passion will strike you and one of your boys at the same time.

*ps. note how I did not suggest trying for another baby. One Politeness Point for me.

Hi Kooky said...

Deb - ha ha! Honestly, (and perhaps sadly?) having another kid never crossed my mind. Not one single time. (I would probably have another boy who wanted nothing to do with my interests anyway.)

Ellen said...

They probably do share your interest in making things.... just not in the way you like to do it. But the net effect is about the same.

We're still waiting to see what our girl gravitates towards, my hope is that she'll want to learn to cook and knit. My fear is that she'll want to sports involving balls. Having a same gendered child is no guarantee of being simpatico.

Being alone in one's home is really hard though.

Sarah P. said...

They still are fairly young. You can't say what their teens might do to (and for) them. I can tell you right now that neither of my children is or ever will be interested in my primary interests: Reality TV and gluttony. I wanted at least one of them to love theater or music performance and that definitely is not the boy, too early to tell for the girl. I do enjoy taking my daughter to get her nails painted, but that is really the only "girl" thing we share. I don't look at it as being lonely. I look at it as ALONE time, which can be heavenly.

kyooty said...

I understand completely~

Hi Kooky said...

kyooty - I bet you do!!